Sunday, December 2, 2012

another class and broken glass!

Hello all!

Friday was kind of a crazy day for me.

It all started when I was in my chemistry class taught by one of my favorite teachers, Mr. Casey. We were doing a lab that involved nitric acid and iron chloride. (FeCl3) These are both very corrosive and dangerous materials! One has to be very careful when dealing with these chemicals. Any way, My lab partner, Kylee, and I were using our bunson burner when a very unsettling sound came from the lab station across from us. CRASH!

I guess their lab drawer was open, which was full of Pyrex™ glass, and the tall, clumsy kid stood up and the hinges on the drawer broke and glass went flying every where! I bet at least two hundred dollars worth of glass must have been shattered. Mr. Casey, who is a very easy going, "accidents happen" kind-of-guy, told them it was okay and to clean up their mess carefully. It was a good thing me and Kylee weren't mixing chemicals at the time, or we might have blew up the lab! I jumped so bad i almost set us ablaze!

Even later that night at work when I was doing dishes, one of the new managers was putting some soup cups into the sink that didn't have any water in it, and literally broke four dishes in a row. After about the second or third one, he kept laughing and was like, "What's wrong with me?" And then broke another one and was like "These dang things are so slippery. I'm sorry but my clumsiness is not allowing me to help you, ha ha!" It made my day and I started busting up laughing. As clumsy as I am, I'm surprised I didn't break anything!

3 comments:

  1. Ha-ha, honestly that story made me laugh for a few minutes. I can relate with those instances though for sure. When I was in my previous chemistry class, which was my junior year of high school, we were doing a chemical lab that pertained to the chemical reactions between a magnesium strip and I believe hydrochloric acid. Well, for one of the portions of the experiment, we had to apply heat to the hydrochloric acid, which I might add is very dangerous and a stupid idea to have a whole bunch of rowdy 17 year olds do this, and take note of the products. Well, I was having one of “those” days where basically I wanted to sleep the day away. So, as my dead-beat lab partner was flirting with some “hot chicka” (his words, not mine) I was forced to pursue the experiment on my own. Well, like I said, I was extremely tired, so when I was applying heat to the test tub, I sort of fell asleep for a little bit. Unfortunately, I was awoken to a loud boom and crash and it made me jump sky high. Luckily though, my previous chemistry teacher was also a very good friend as well as a great teacher and she understood it was an accident. Still though, it was embarrassing. Sadly said, this wasn’t my only time having trouble in the lab. I’ve been through having a stain on my hands from iodine, to having to go the nurse’s office for caustic burns. It’s kind of ironic that I am considering going to college for biochemistry, isn’t it? Ha-ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So reading about this kind of made me chuckle because I am also a really clumsy person. I used to break things all the time on accident and it would make my mom pretty mad. I accidently broke cups and then she started buying plastic cups for us so that took away from all the broken dishes. But when I started getting old enough to use knifes, which definitely are not my forte, I would cut myself. I never cut myself really bad or anything but like one time I was cutting a watermelon and I pulled the knife down and then the point end came up and poked my finger. Regardless how bad it was I was always really hysterical because I hate seeing my own blood. Except one time I was cleaning a glass globe type thing that goes over a light bulb and it shattered with my hand inside of it and it cut a chunk of skin out of my finer and I was jumping up and down crying and my mom threatened to smack some sense into me ha-ha. Anyway, reading this also reminded me of how much fun it would have been to take Chemistry, I think the whole mixing chemicals thing would be fun but I don’t want to learn all the specifics because that just seems really confusing. And in Anatomy we did a little bit of Chemistry, just the basics and I did not even like that! Anyway, I hope nothing like that happens again in your class so no one gets hurt, that would be pretty scary if something happened with the chemicals or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe your teacher shook off the breaking of the glass thing like that! Last year my Chemistry teacher was big on telling you if you break you have to pay for it. I was always worried because I am super clumsy, and would probably be the one to break something. I tend to fall a lot, and it is usually surprising to people because I play so many sports. If you see me play though I am on the ground….a lot. Ha. The kids in my class really like to tick my teacher off though. We were the smarter of her classes so most of the time no one would pay attention so instead they would burn things. Trust me that made her mad! Also somehow our valedictorian or salutatorian made some kind of poisonous gas, but she knew it was an accident so she was okay. She was a good teacher, but my class like to push her buttons. I know for a fact that I will be the one to break dishes when I am older, but good thing I do not want to go into anything like that. I think that breaking for dishes is kind of crazy though. You think you would learn after the first or second time, but I guess you can forget sometimes. It does sound like you had a crazy Friday! Hopefully your next Fridays are not like that! More importantly that you do not break a lot of dishes either!

    ReplyDelete