Saturday, December 1, 2012

Welcome to all things Scottish, our slogan here is if it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP.

When the Pixar movie, Brave, came out, I was so excited for an animated Scottish film. I've seen it probably six times and I love it so very much. I guess I love it so much is because I am Scottish. I am so Scottish that both sides of my family are 100% pure scotch bloodlines. It's kind of crazy if you think about it. America is supposed to be the melting pot of the world, for all immigrants from all different countries to come to and live the American dream. Well, after all these years of my family living here, I'm still... well really Scottish.

My last name, McCollum, was originally MacCallum. It was changed on my ancestor's way to America. My mother's last name, McLean, originally MacLean, was also changed. Both clans were originally from the Highlands of Scotland. My mom's family lived of the Isle of Mull, and to this day owns the Duart Castle, or the MacLean Castle.

Another thing I love about Scottish history is the Tartans! I'm sorry to be throwing all of this terminology at you, a "Tartan" (TAR-TAHN) is a plaid-like pattern that represents each clan of Scotland. My mom's is a red color and my dad's is a blue. They're both beautiful.

MacLean Tartan

MacCallum Tartan

The castles are a true beauty as well. As far as my father's castle, it lays in ruin. My mom's castle, however, is in excellent condition. It's called the Duart (Du-art) castle and it's still owned in the MacLean name today.


Two different views of the castle. 


No comments:

Post a Comment