Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Girl In The Red LIpstick

The girl in the red lipstick does not have a name. You see her as she walks the halls every day alone. She does not speak because her brilliant blue eyes speak for her. They scream out Pain! They scream out  Agony! Sometimes, they scream out Help! No one ever answers, however. Every one stares at the girl with the painted red lips because she is different. Is it her black hair with streaks of blue? Is it her long, vibrantly painted nails? Her gothic ensembles that she dresses up in?
The girl in the red lipstick has a scar above her right eye. No one knows how it got there, but it begs for someone to listen to its story. Maybe she got it after falling off of her bike as a child. Maybe she was in a car accident. Maybe someone put it there.
Maybe someone should listen to the tales of the maiden with the red lips. Maybe she should make some one listen. Someone! Anyone! Everyone?
Maybe there's a reason the scarlet lipped girl does not speak. Perhaps she has tried and failed so she lets her appearance do the talking. Maybe her lipstick covers up another scar. Maybe her large sweaters cover up her body. Maybe her long hair covers up the pain in her eyes. Maybe her silence covers up the past.
The girl in the red lipstick walks the halls with no friends. She stands alone every day stares into a world where no one else may see. She is a vessel without a soul. She is an angel trapped in hell. The girl in the red lipstick does not have an identity. The girl in the red lipstick does not have a name.


AUTHOR'S NOTE: I wrote this poem a long time ago about a girl I saw at school every day. The portrayal above is not entirely true but was inspired by a real person. It is a poem and is meant to be taken as such.

2 comments:

  1. Wow is what I have to say about this poem, it is so unique yet true. The way I took the poem is there are so many people that we see that have a mystery to them. It’s even ones who look completely normal, but still have a secret. This makes me think of bullying at school. At school when you are seen as different or poor it’s like a big target is put on your back. The sad thing is bullies don’t know the truth, they don’t know that these individuals can’t help the way they are. It just makes me feel sad that people have to hide behind a mask, or like you mentioned red lipstick. I guess we have to remember also in this case of the girl with the red lipstick, she could be completely normal living a normal life. When people have abnormal things about them we tend to judge. I know from my experience I judge people. I know this is not a good quality, but we are living in a society that judges. For example what types of clothes are in, the name brand, who’s popular, and so much more. Growing up if you were never teased about anything having to do with your personal appearance, I would consider you to be very lucky. In the end I feel you did a great job showing how our minds think of people, and how everybody is always hiding something. I hope this is what you took from your poem, and if not I guess I just see it a different way. Overall I enjoyed your poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad to see your creativity flourishing with this assignment!

    ReplyDelete