Monday, October 8, 2012

CAL-Q-LUS IZ HARD.

Last Friday, I was sick. Like I was literally coughing up blood from coughing so much. I didn't go to school because, well, if I pulled a "Clint Eastwood" (Gran Torino reference) in school, I would've been sent home anyway.
I missed a chemistry class, right? No big deal. Chem is one of those things I pick up on super quick. The lab we did Thursday made the cobalt test paper turn pink because of the presence of oxygen in the beaker from the low-heat flame. Blah. Blah. Blah. Don't get me wrong! I LOVE CHEMISTRY. I didn't go to science camp for years if I hated chemistry. (Yes, I know, I'm such a nerd.) Chemistry is one of the reasons I'm considering being a chemical engineer. Calculus on the other hand. . .
I missed one day, ONE DAY, in Calculus, and ended up being like three pages of homework behind. Half of this class isn't even logic! It's not even math! It's punching a bunch of buttons into a calculator! I get the logic and solving part of math, in fact, I love that part. But considering I'm pretty much technologically retarded, using a graphing calculator is not fun. I suppose my frustrations come from the lack of knowledge and experience I have with expensive equipment like this. I mean, it's like tossing someone into a room with a mass spectrometer and saying "Alright, find out how many pickles Bobby ate after thirty years of wearing the same colored socks and only sleeping with 500 thread count sheets." WHAT.

2 comments:

  1. Haha (: I liked reading this post. I truly love Love LOVE science of any kind. Chemistry, Biology, any kind of science you can throw at me and I'm sure I will enjoy learning about it. I had an excellent Chemistry teaching back in the Spring who really brought a lot of the concepts to life today and how to remember a lot of the concepts. I love a teacher like that. If I miss a science class, I can usually pick up on it the next day, like what you said. Math on the other hand I am HORRIBLE at. I only had to take one math class and I'm done with math for the rest of my college career.. I hope. I guess math is just something you are really good at, or really bad at. I am in that category of being really bad at. It's just numbers in general and how they all work together messes me up. I don't know. It hurts my head too much. Calculus would have been the death of me, so hopefully you're able to do good and survive the course. (: Good luck with all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I truly feel for you! That darn sickness is going around, and no matter where you go you can’t escape from it. I know because I am currently getting over a cold. My symptoms did not sound as half as bad as yours. There is nothing worse than having to be productive when being sick. Letting alone having to go to school, and when you can’t go so much class work is missed. So you can try to make it through going sick and miserable with so many people staring at you , or stay at home in a nice healthy comfortable environment. I understand sometimes you can’t help but miss. The worse part like you are saying is feeling behind in a class. In high school I missed a whole week because of the flu. It was such a big week; I missed a full week of Chemistry. Unlike you I am not very good at chemistry, so it is critical that I make it to every class. I couldn’t so will the help of friends and classmates as well as the teacher I was able to learn everything. Of course this took time, patience, and a lot of determination I finally got back on track. So don’t just sit back because it’s easy work hard and you will get back on track. Plus knowing you are in calculus says how smart you are. I am not sure I could ever get through a calculus, considering I am terrible at math. I hope you are feeling better and good luck catching up!

    ReplyDelete