Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Seelye essay response

READERS NOTE: LITERALLY THE MOST BORING THING I'VE EVER READ.

Ya know, I'm not usually one to just rag on articles, but I'm tired and grumpy right now, and if I wasn't sleepy before I started reading, I'm dead asleep now.
This article talks about how the numbers on magazine covers makes the magazine sell better and what statistics prove so. That was pretty much it. I kinda thought it was a bunch of bull, until I looked over at a copy of Cosmopolitan laying on my bedroom floor, and by golly right on the cover it says, "52 Sex Tips!" Well dang, I guess they were right. And in the corner, it says, "4 Talks You Should Have Had With Him By Now" Well okay, I guess sex and numbers do sell...
Come to think of it, every time I'm looking at magazine, it has numbers on the front. Interesting...
The title, "Lurid Numbers on Glossy Pages" truly is a witty title, because it sums up what the entirety of the essay was about, and using all the quotes from popular magazine editors and such, like from Cosmopolitan, backed up what the author was saying. It was good, Field Guide, but I'd rather be reading 50 Shades of Grey.

1 comment:

  1. Haha I read the 50 shades series and I would have to agree that I would be rather reading those than that article haha! Oh how I cannot wait for the movie to come out. I would much rather read that for an assignment and do an evaluation on that for a project haha! ;) Anyways! I didn't think the article was too too bad. I thought it was kind of interesting how much magazines use numbers to lure people in. I've been in that category of people that will buy a magazine because it says something like "1,000 new beauty secrets revealed" or something of that nature. I think every magazine has a least one number on the front. They would have to! People live such busy lives that they don't wanna sit down and nonchalantly skim through a magazine. I do, but a lot of people just want "straight to the point" facts. I love reading magazines (& 50 shades) ha! I probably have over 50 different magazines sitting in my room right now. I get a lot of subscriptions in the mail for them. I probably shouldn't waste my money with things like that because all of it is pretty much gossip and things like that, when in the long run won't even matter anyways. I honestly should be spending more time doing things that are worth my time than reading about which celebrity is with who and who broke up and blah blah. I'm pretty ridiculous when it comes to keeping up with that kind of stuff, but it just comes to show that magazine covers really can lure people into buying them.

    ReplyDelete