Thursday, November 22, 2012

Lessons from Fifty Shades...

I read Fifty Shades of Grey, the first one in the three part trilogy, a couple weeks ago or so, and I loved it. Though its scandalous reputation makes it feel taboo to read it in public, I read it almost every where I went because it was a total page-turner and quite the epic piece of literature. To me, it doesn't matter what a book is about, what matters is how a writer can make even the most boring plot or topic interesting. And that got me thinking...
Originally, the books were my boyfriend's mom's. She doesn't read a whole lot of novels, and because she received the books as a gift, she gave them to me. I had heard about these books. These risque books. I decided to give them a shot because, well, why not? I read Cosmo, so why would it be any different?
I read the first book in a week. No, maybe three days? I loved it. The way the author portrays the main character, Ana, is both realistic and unbelievable at the same time. I won't go into grave detail, but she is all too real when it comes to being... a girl. She is awkward and totally lovable. And Christain Grey, well he's okay too.
So back to my point about making any piece of literature a masterpiece given the right author. It gave me some hope about surviving English Comp this year. I try and try my hardest, and most of the time, I'm not enough. Maybe, just maybe, if I learn from this author, I too can make this last essay a literary work of art. You know, if I work on this essay instead of reading Fifty Shades until five in the morning. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment