Thursday, November 1, 2012

Other Classes

Does music count as another class? Well it's about to...
Music has been one of my things since I was in about fifth grade. First, I had learned flute.I hated it! Next, I tried trumpet. It still wasn't for me. So then I tried something else that my school didn't offer: guitar.
I got really good really fast. It came super easy to me, just like bass did. I took lessons from a guy named Nick George. Now, I take music theory, because I'm more advanced in my studies. Any way, after about five years of guitar,I taught myself how to play piano. Later, I taught myself how to play baritone. which is a brass instrument. I got a score of two at a solo and ensemble competition after knowing how to play baritone (or euphonium) for three months. And I didn't play something easy, I picked Vandercook!
So, okay, let's keep track of how many instruments I have learned to play: flute, trumpet, guitar, bass, baritone, euphonium, piano, tuba/sousaphone, and I even picked up some percussion along the way. You played recorder in fourth grade? That's cute.
When I went to Perry, and my band director was absent from school (He had cancer, so he got sick a lot.) I directed the high school band, and I was a sophomore. And I had to explain tonal center to some college students before... I guess you can say it's kinda my thing.

2 comments:

  1. I would think that music would count as an other class. I think it is great how gifted you are at music. I am not good at music. Most of my family is though. My older brother can play just about anything, and he can play the gutair behind his head. In high school he did not take any music class because he just taught himself to play those intruments. I wish I had the talent like that, but I am not good at that stuff. I feel like it is something to be good at because it helps with creative, or a good stress reliever. It is really amazing that you directed the band as a sophmore. That is something to be really proud of because not everyone can say that. This is truely something that is your thing. Hopefully you can keep playing, and add to your list of instruments. I do not even know what a euphonium is, but it sounds hard and pretty initeresting. I had to take music when I was younger, and I was good at reading music, and understand the message in the music, but I was never good at playing. The only thing I can do with music is that I can learn words and the melody fast. If I could play or sing I might be good, but it is not my thing or something that comes easy to me. I feel when it comes to music you have to have some talent, and you obviously have that. I hope you keep playing because it sound like you are good at what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, oh my gosh, it is so awesome to see someone else have such and determined and strong interest in music as I am! I took music theory in high school, and, like I have said so many countless times, I love music so entirely much! I think it is really funny that you play all of these instruments because I play all of these, as well (except subtract the flute and add in a clarinet and we are set.) The first instrument that I learned to play was the trumpet. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I still pick up my “old silver bullet” (the nickname for my trumpet) every now and then, but I wasn’t entirely satisfied by being the soprano or the high melodic portion of sound, so I switched seventh grade to baritone and euphonium. Then, after gaining experience in the baritone section of the band, the instructor thought it would be a great switch for me to play the tuba. Kind of stereotypical, yeah? The big kid always has to play the tuba. Although I was slightly hesitant, I learned to love the big thing. Also, when I was in fifth grade, I taught myself to play the guitar, and I am now in love. It’s slightly funny because whenever someone asks me if I “have a girlfriend yet,” I always say, “heck no, my acoustic beauty is the only thing I need in life!” Just like you, after learning guitar, I learned to play the piano, an instrument I love now. I would say I such the most at the clarinet though, I just picked it up about 6 months ago. Regardless, if you ever need someone to play lead guitar in a band, hit me up, ha-ha!

    ReplyDelete